Thursday

Creamy Crunchy Coleslaw

The perfect summertime side dish


I don't know about you, but I've always thought of coleslaw as a staple for 4th of July picnics and not much else.  Then I made some the other day using a super secret recipe from a major chicken chain and fell in love with the often overlooked side all over again.  I made a few simple changes to make it a healthier choice, and I promise you won't miss the fat.  Apple cider vinegar comes into play in this recipe, but you have to make sure its raw, unfiltered, organic and "with the mother."  If you have a tough time finding it, I'll provide a link at the end of this recipe so you can order your own.  If you can make this a few days in advance, I encourage you to do so.  It'll give everything time to blend.  Then when you want a snack, just make yourself a bowl of coleslaw.

Ingredients

1 head of cabbage, finely chopped (organic is harder to find so make sure you wash it well)
1 organic carrot, grated
1/4 cup turbinado sugar
1/2 tsp himalayan sea salt
1/8 tsp pepper (you can use white pepper here if you don't want flecks in your slaw)
1/4 cup half and half
1/4 cup unsweetened, plain almond milk
1/2 cup low fat, olive oil based mayo
3 Tbsp raw, organic, apple cider vinegar
2 Tbsp fresh squeezed organic lemon juice

Directions

First up, get to chopping.  I encourage you to chop this by hand instead of in a food processor.  You don't want the cabbage to get to watery.  I also grate the carrot by hand as well.  I actually like the chopping part because it lets me control how find the cabbage is and I get to take out any stress of the day on that poor cabbage.  You may have to do this in sections and add it to the bowl as you go.  The more you chop, the bigger the pile becomes.  One everything is chopped and grated, add it to the bowl and stir.



In a separate bowl make your dressing by whisking together the remaining ingredients.  The sugar may not dissolve completely but that's okay.









Pour the dressing over the cabbage and carrots.









Stir to coat completely, cover and place in the fridge.  Stir every once in a while until ready to serve.  Remember, the longer you can let it sit the better it will taste.  So simple to make and keep in the fridge, plus it's a fun way to get that extra serving of veggies.





And, in case you need to find the apple cider vinegar I was telling you about, see below.

No comments:

Post a Comment