Monday

Gluten Free Steamed Sole with Citrus Tamari Sauce

Steamed Sole with Citrus Tamari Sauce

Steamed Sole with Citrus Tamari Sauce



I have a confession.  For years I was afraid to head into the seafood department.  All things fish intimidated me.  It's so delicate and mysterious surely it has to be hard to cook.  Well, that's just silly.  I decided to put on my big girl pants and learn to cook a proper fish dish.  Fish is such a good protein choice after all.  I flipped through some recipe books and rooted around on line until I came up with this gluten free option that is sooooo yummy my husband wants me to try it with other types of fish.  I have promised to do so asap.  I chose the sole filets because they were "wild caught" in the U.S.A.  If you're wondering what the big deal is where the fish is from, read this.  The best part of this recipe is, nothing is wasted as the marinating liquid becomes the sauce you serve over the fish.  I recommend this with the Coconut Basil Brown Rice.

Ingredients

1/2 cup pineapple juice
1/2 cup orange juice
1/2 cup tamari
3 tbsp fresh ginger, minced
2 tbsp sesame oil
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1 lb of sole filets (or use any wild caught white fish)
1/2 cup white wine
Several kale or lettuce leaves

Directions



Lay the filets in a baking dish.  Mix the first 6 ingredients and pour over the filets.  Gently lift the filets to make sure they are covered in the marinating liquid.  Cover and chill up to 2 hours. 







Place the kale leaves in your steamer basket and lay the fish filets over the leaves.  Pour the remaining marinade into an 8 quart stockpot and add 1/2 cup of white wine. Bring to a boil. Place the basket in the pot and cover.  Steam the fish for about 8 minutes or until flaky when tested with a fork.





Remove the steamer rack and set aside.  Boil the remaining liquid down until it is reduced enough to coat a spoon.  It should take around 6 minutes.  Pour over fish and serve.  Remember the sauce will be salty.  Use accordingly.

No comments:

Post a Comment