Tuesday

Sunflower Seed Pesto


Sunflower Seed Pesto

Sunflower Seed Pesto Over Gluten Free Pasta



One thing you'll learn about me by reading this blog is, I like to use what I have available.  After a trip to the farmer's market this week that included a purchase of organic basil, I thought - what could be better than a light fresh pesto sauce.  I knew from past dinners that pine nuts are a big part of a proper pesto but some people are allergic to pine nuts, plus I didn't have any.  So that started me thinking about what I already have that could be used as a substitute.  After digging around in the fridge I decided on sunflower seeds.  I put it all together and it worked.  Not to mention all the wonderful benefits of sunflower seeds.  If you toast them a little it's even better.  Here's my take on a quintessential summer favorite.  Oh and it's gluten free.

Ingredients

1 Bunch of organic basil
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
1/4 cup sunflower seeds (lightly toasted)
2 cloves of garlic
The juice of half a lemon
High quality extra virgin olive oil
Gluten Free brown rice spaghetti

Fresh basil makes the kitchen smell divine.

Directions

Simply take the larger stems off the basil then place, basil, parmesan, sunflower seeds, lemon and garlic in a food processor or blender.  Turn on low speed and drizzle olive oil into blender until desired consistency is reached.

Boil up to two servings of gluten free brown rice spaghetti and drain.  Pour sauce over pasta.
Toss to coat pasta. Garnish with a little parmesan.  So fast, fresh and simple you'll wonder why you haven't made this several times already this summer.
Makes up to two servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment