Monday

To Market We Will Go...



Every Monday Chad and I schlep down to the end of our street for the Farmer's Market in the park.  Now, we know how lucky we are to have one just steps from our front door, but even if we didn't we'd still seek one out for our weekly purchases and here's a list of the reasons why.

1.  I like local.  I can look the seller in the eye and ask about the farm the food comes from.  Is it organic? Are there non-organic fields near yours?  Do you use pesticides of any kind?  If so, what kind.  I know I sound picky, but you have to be these days.  A good grower answers these questions with pride.  A bad one skirts around the questions and doesn't want to look you in the eye.  Makes it easier.

2.  Selection.  I can find things here I can't find in stores. Like dairy products that haven't been cooked (pasteurized.)  Mostly because retailers aren't allowed to sell non-pasteurized cheese and milk.  I know what you're thinking - "But Stacey if it isn't pasteurized it could kill you."  To which I say: Go here and watch this cute guy explain why you shouldn't be such a chicken.  I don't eat or drink a lot of dairy, but when I do I like it to have real benefits. 

3. Cheap organic.  That's right.  I used those two words together.  Go later in the day and get better deals.  I've seen them change their signs to lower prices as market closing time approaches.  Don't be afraid to bargain, or play the - I only have 4 ones in my pocket - game.  They'll wheel and deal.  Trust me.  Here's what 14 dollars got us at today's visit.
A five pound bag of oranges, 4 organic Fuji apples, 3 organic yellow peaches, 2 organic nectarines, 2 organic apricots and some home made feta cheese.  I don't know how much that would cost in your neck of the woods, but in Los Angeles this is a good deal.  The highest prices were for the peaches and nectarines.  A splurge to be sure.   In case you are wondering what needs to be organic and what doesn't, here's a list of the dirty dozen.  I took a picture of the list on my phone, so when I'm standing in the produce section I can easily look up where I need to spend the extra cash for organic.

4.  It's nice to get out and breathe in some fresh air while looking at some fresh produce and supporting local growers.  If you think there isn't one near you, maybe this will help.  There's an even bigger market just down the road on Sunday's that has even more selection. It's a little more crowded than the one near us but sometimes it's worth it to find those exotic ingredients I read about when I'm looking for a cleaner way to cook and live.

Don't let the grocery store be your only source for fruits and veggies this summer.  Heck, if you have the space you could even try your hand at organic gardening.  Or get to know that farmer down the road who's really proud of what he does.  The meal you cook that night will take you back to your childhood.  I know it always works for me.

Now,  What to do with all those oranges.  How about Orangeade?  Something a little different from the everyday lemonade.  Worth a try. Right?  Here it is.

Orangeade
2 Cups of water
1 1/2 Cups of Turbinado Sugar
6 Cups of water ( I know, bear with me.)
2 Cups freshly squeezed orange juice
1/3 Cup freshly squeezed lemon juice

Make a simple syrup by boiling the 2 cups of water and the Sugar together until the sugar dissolves.   Let it cool for a little while.  Combine the simple syrup with the rest of the ingredients and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.  Serve over ice with an orange wedge and sprig of mint as a garnish.  If you can't find turbinado sugar at your grocery store you can order below.  Why turbinado you say? I'm glad you asked.

No comments:

Post a Comment